Originally developed in 1905 by R. S. and Collett Munger, the area's proximity to downtown Dallas was part of the Mungers' vision to create a neighborhood whose residents would become involved with diverse facets of urban life. The designation as Dallas' first historic district over 30 years ago has ensured the preservation of this vision. The success of The Swiss Avenue Historic District has inspired preservation in numerous Dallas neighborhoods - both residential and non-residential.
The Swiss Avenue Historic District currently includes 200 houses located on portions of Swiss Avenue, Bryan Parkway, Bryan Street, La Vista Avenue, and Live Oak Street. Virtually every home in the district has been restored, a rarity in even the oldest historic districts. The area is characterized by deep setbacks alongside an oak-lined boulevard.
The neighborhood is very active with monthly neighborhood meetings and an annual Mother's Day home tour that is widely attended.
Swiss Avenue stretches from Lakewood Shopping Center to Bryan Place and Deep Ellum and is only blocks from Greenville Avenue, placing it central to three of East Dallas' most popular entertainment and shopping destinations.
Properties marked by the NTREIS Logo are courtesy of the NTREIS Multiple Listing Service. Property listing data provided by NTREIS multiple listing service. You may not reproduce or redistribute this data, it is for viewing purposes only. This data is deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS or NTREIS.
Updated: 22nd March, 2019 5:50 AM.